Sunday, September 7, 2014

Starting Again

Ian is now gone to school, and this year he is in an apartment and has to cook for himself. So he is asking for recipes. I had started a cookbook for him at one point, but inadvertently erased the file during some computer repairing. (Lesson learned, and hopefully not to be repeated.)

I am going to start typing up the recipes again, but figured I would begin to post some here. There won't be pictures at this point because I am just entering them and not cooking them. I may add photos later, but maybe not.

I love to make pancakes from scratch. I don't really care for biscuit mix pancakes. And it is so easy to make them from scratch.

Pancakes

2 cups flour (can use all white, or whole wheat, or combination of the two)
1/2 cup sugar (can reduce it to 1/4th cup if desired)
1 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder ( I get aluminum free baking powder, otherwise there is a slight bitter taste in my opinion)
1 1/2 to 2 cups milk
1/4 cup canola oil (or melted butter)
2 eggs

Preheat griddle.
 In a large bowl, Mix the dry ingredients together (can add powdered milk to make 2 cups if you want).  Add milk, and oil and eggs, then stir.  Cook on warm griddle just until bubbles appearing in the center of the pancake don't close, or close slowly. Flip with spatula, and cook until steam stops coming off the pancake.


Syurp

1 cup water 
2 cups sugar 
1 teaspoon maple flavoing
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Bring water to boil. Add stir in sugar until dissolved. Simmer for 3 minutes. Add Maple flavoring.




No comments:

Post a Comment